Post Index

Friday, December 28, 2007

Benazir Bhutto

The assassination on Thursday of former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto in Rawalpindi produced a sick feeling in my stomach.

It was lunchtime in my seventh grade class in 1963 when our classmate Linda came rushing in with tear-soaked face calling aloud President John F. Kennedy had been assassinated.

I do not profess intimate knowledge of Pakistan, its people, culture and issues other than the smattering of news from the media. Still, I was not alone in my hopes for what this remarkable woman held for the future of Pakistan.

Were she my enemy I would not rejoice, for, says, the Lord, "Do not rejoice in the fall of your enemy". Were she my friend, I would grieve her death.

Benazir Bhutto was among those who live their lives in total commitment in the service of a cause for the benefit of others.

I am saddened by the loss of my friend.

No comments: