Post Index

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Overheard around town

Just a few things I have overheard and discussed with several whose passion is in apparel.

1 The merchandiser requires I buy bulk quantities in order to obtain a low price.

Apparel (women's, particularly) has an extremely short lifespan. So, why stockpile merchandise you can only hope to sell, and, make a profit?

2 What am I suppossed to do with my unsold merchandise?

The apparel network direct model eliminates the middleman leftovers from your boutique.

3 People are cheap. They want extravangance in custom apparel at regular prices.

People don't know how regular price imports have hurt their own apparel jobs. Contractors and retailers attempt to fight off imports relying on the same business model which was overrun by the competition. Nonetheless, the apparel network direct model enables a much more competitive price as opposed to the traditional ceiling-high price associated with custom apparel.

4 Why should I have to pay nine hundred dollars for a custom-made dress?

I agree and I would ask contractors and retailers: Would you be willing to pay those prices for your own custom apparel? Why ask others to pay prices you would not like to pay yourself?

5 If I had a few thousand dollars I could do it.

The truth is the investment in apparel networks is nowhere near thousands of dollars, plus, it allows you to duplicate your efforts while increasing your revenue. Furthermore, unlike the traditional model where retailers tie up hundreds of dollars when buying from merchandisers local apparel networks enable them to get a quick turnaround on their merchandising capital with custom-made apparel, that is, reduced inventory.

6 I shop expensive dresses for my clients, but I make a small profit.

Why shop around when you can have your own local network create your apparel. Since they do most of the work they are compensated accordingly.

7 My sales and profits are good, but my rent eats it up.

Instead of feeding the rent monster and the merchandiser machine why not consider reducing your inventory and leveraging the resources of an apparel network.

8 My time is worth twenty dollars per hour and that's what I charge.

No one can dictate to an independent what they are to charge for their services, that is except, the consumer. Hourly rates are what employers pay employees. Contractors are nobody's employee. Consumers do not pay for what they do not wear. They do not wear your service. They wear your product, the apparel made with their pleasure in mind.

9 I am afraid someone will steal my business.

This is small thinking. You are a steward of the business you operate. Helping others become successful is not your loss.

10 I just don't have time.

Maybe because independents represent a breakaway from the environment of employer and fellow employees they believe they should conduct business: Alone. It is no wonder too many run themselves ragged. Apparel networks are about you being in business for yourself, but not by yourself.

No comments: